Hiring Organization / Company: Union Pacific
Basic Salary: To Be Discussed
Employement Type: Full-Time
Join a team of Welder Helpers with a record of repairing railroad tracks for Union Pacific over 150 years! Welder Helpers assist in the operation of any welding device used in the performance of repairing, tempering, and cutting rails, frogs and switches, and such other required welding. By repairing or replacing tracks as needed, you'll enable Union Pacific to move trains safely and efficiently to serve its customers throughout North America! We are powered by our people, will you join our team?
For this position, you will be required to become a Union Pacific certified driver during your probationary period. To become certified, you must meet the following Motor Vehicle and Medical Requirements:
1. Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
2. Have valid driver's license
3. Have an acceptable driving record per your Motor Vehicle Record (MVR)
4. Acquire your Commercial Driver's License (CDL) if you will be operating a vehicle(s) with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs or greater. If this is required, you will need to obtain your CDL during your probationary period.Medical Requirements:
Must meet the medical requirements (also called physical qualifications) for commercial motor vehicle drivers as specified by the US Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). The FMCSA physical qualifications for drivers can be found on the FMCSA homepage. Health and Medical Services at Union Pacific Railroad will make the final determination on whether or not an individual meets the FMCSA medical qualifications, and may add additional medical requirements to assure the person can safely perform job tasks, with or without accommodation.
- Perform maintenance on the tracks, repair, install and remove components as needed
- Handle and move track materials and equipment using load/unload devices
- Observe the condition of track for problems or defects, observe right-of-way and passing trains for shifted loads and spillage
- Safely and efficiently operate equipment to drive spikes, loosen or tighten track bolts, and use pullers to remove spikes
- Maintain trackbed: remove and replace ballast, tamp ballast, unload or assist in unloading ballast from ballast cars
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with coworkers, supervisors, contractors and/or customers and effectively handle controversy
- Ensure compliance with all railroad rules and regulations for safety, operations and Federal Railroad Administration (FRA)
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Valid driver's license
- Commercial Drivers License (CDL) Class A or Class B, or can obtain one within your probationary period
- Able to read and comprehend regulations and instructions
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to deliver information to coworker(s) and supervisor(s)
- Candidates for this position must pass a pre-employment test in English before being allowed to interview. The number of candidates who pass the test and are granted an interview is based upon hiring needs. If you have taken this test for any of the jobs listed here and failed within the last six months, you will not be eligible to apply for this position. Click here to see a sample of the Workplace Practices Test.
- Candidates must qualify on a Physical Ability Test (PAT) prior to employment. Click here for a description of the Physical Abilities Test
- Experience of 1 year or more in Railroad Maintenance of Way work
- Experience working outdoors in variable weather conditions (consider professional, personal, and volunteer experience)
- Experience working in a construction-type setting (consider professional, personal, and volunteer experience)
- Experience operating heavy equipment such as construction, farm, etc. (consider professional, personal, and volunteer experience)
- Experience welding or a welding certificate (consider professional, personal, and volunteer experience)
- Commercial Drivers License (CDL) Class A or Class B
- Able to remain standing for more than one-half of every work day with an opportunity to periodically change position for comfort
- Occasionally lift and carry up to 65 lbs, and push and pull objects up to 119 lbs
- Occasionally climb ladders to access truck storage and have the ability to frequently walk and maintain balance on a variety of surfaces
- Able to perform physically strenuous work on a continuous basis and occasionally bend, stoop and kneel. Must have manual dexterity with eye-hand coordination
- Willing to work on-call, overtime, various shifts, 7 days a week, as well as weekends and holidays
- 21 years of age or older
- Authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship
- Must be willing and able to work around large equipment such as railcars, locomotives and cranes
- Apply only to those locations where you are prepared to live and work
- Willingness to practice safe work habits
- Benefit information can be found under the Benefits section on up.jobs (https://up.jobs/why/benefits/index.htm)
- Travel Requirements: Extensive traveling across Union Pacific's 23 state system could be required at any time with short notice
- To the extent required by federal law and/or collective bargaining agreement, membership to the respective labor union is required. The union agreement dictates the pay rate and cannot be individually negotiated. Monthly dues are the responsibility of the employee.
Job Location Information:
Location: Bloomington, Il
Share this job on:
Top 10 Work From Home Jobs
There are so many ways that you can make money from the comfort of your own home and not many enough people know about them. If you have been wanting to become your own boss, below you can find the top 10 work from home jobs which are well worth considering.
If you have a particular subject that you are passionate about, or you just want to write about your day-to-day life – blogging is a great way to build up some extra income and make connections at the same time. While it won’t see you become rich overnight, there are ways that you can monetize your blog in order to make money. This includes featuring ads on your page and advertising products. Look for more information on how to start up a successful blog online if you are serious about this job.
2. Virtual assistant
With more and more companies going online, becoming a virtual assistant might be a good option for you. While your exact role might be varied, some basic tasks that you will be doing as a virtual assistant include responding to emails, creating content and more. You can make all the way up to 75 bucks an hour by being a virtual assistant and you can find these kinds of jobs on our website.
Many translators actually work from home and if you know more than one language, this could be something that you should look into further. While some professional translators will need a bachelor’s degree, others will just need to fluently speak at least two languages.
4. Social media manager
To achieve success nowadays, a business will be needing social media marketing pages and they need to be able to handle them. Some people don’t possess a clue just how to work social media and therefore they are going to hire workers to take care of almost all their social media posts/interactions. If you think about your self a whizz with technology and linking with people, this may be the proper role for you personally. There are lots of vacancies for this work online plus the pay is well known to be pretty created.
5. Medical transcriptionist
Explaining medical files and the like is really a extremely desired work and therefore, it can have a good paycheck. The majority of medical transcriptionists now work online. All you have to have the ability to repeat this form of job is just a computer, a desk, a headset, a good ear, and fast typing skills. You can use the internet with this type of work including on a number of the internet sites that have been mentioned.
6. Web developer
Knowing how to build an internet site and you also think your skills are good enough to have covered, what is to stop you from being a internet designer from the comfort of your own home? There are many free courses on site building online so perhaps you could even show your self this ability. You will be making just as much as 100 thousand a year if you’re a web designer who is in high demand. So how are you able to advertise your abilities and get clients?
7. Travel agent
Travel agents still make good money and tend to be in need online, but not just as much as they once were. If you have a passion for travel, you know how to set up events and so on, you can use cyberspace to harness your abilities making cash. You can get a good paycheck when you’re a travel representative but here is the types of work where it truly depends just how good you are at it.
8. Freelance writer
If you enjoy composing and you are very good at it, freelance writing is something you makes decent cash from. There are numerous people who have blogs/websites and therefore are seeking content creators to help them. All of the sites that have been websites have several thousand vacancies for freelance article writers and you ought to utilize them to your advantage. Additionally it is well worth building up a portfolio in order to send samples of your writing to consumers that are interested in working together with you.
9. Call-center representative
If you have a definite voice and therefore are proficient at making customers happy – you basically have all of the abilities required to become a call center agent. Many businesses require workers who are able to respond to the device for them nonetheless they prefer employees to do this remotely. Because of this work, you certainly will usually need a computer, a headset and on some occasions, specific computer software. In terms of simply how much you make, this will depend exactly how many hours you place in but it may be well over minimum wage if you learn an excellent company.
10. Data Entry
In the event that you work fast on a computer, data entry is an easy job that just about everyone can do. There are many businesses available to you, who require information input into spreadsheets, databases an such like. Plenty of data entry clerks home based and you may find vacancies on a number of the internet sites that have been mentioned.
Now that you realize a tad bit more about work at home plus the variety of jobs you can do, what exactly are you waiting for? The online world has numerous opportunities plus the advantage of taking care of your schedule is enormous. In the event that you hate answering to a employer, become your own and experiment with these different options unless you find out what is suitable for you.